F250 6.0 DIESEL

2004 Ford F-250

2004 Ford F250 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

my 6.0 diesel runs fine until you accelerate hard whether you are taking off from a stop or cruising and accelerate to pass or speed up. Then it loses power and acts like it is not geting fuel and blows black smoke and eventually takes on off. If you just let off and ease into it it runs fine. It will run fast as long as you don't accelerate hard. Could it be a restricted air filter or is it more serious than that?Thanks for the help.
Treral

Sounds like restricted Fuel filter

Dr Loot
Sounds just like my 2003 F250 diesel. I am having the same problem. I have already replaced 2 injectors, the EGR valvu, plus one of the fuel pumps, and it is still running bad. Acts like water in the gas or just sputtering. Now I am thinking maybe a vacuum line has come undone. I am locating a manual to see where all the vacuum lines are located in my truck. I have heard that a lot of problems are with the 6.0 motor that Ford has.

Tl1947ar
One of the biggest problems I found with Ford, is a bad connection on the battery cables, that will cause the computer to malfunction, check all your cable ends make sure they are tight, if there is corrosion visible you have to remove the cables from the battery, and cleaned them thoroughly, be aware that the battery post, and the ends, create a black hard corrosion, that can only be removed with the knife, or a file. It you suspect water in the fuel system, which is very common if you don't keep your tank full in the winter, diesel collects the moisture out of the air, remove your fuel filter, and dump it into a clean glass jar, then let it sit for a while, and check it for contamination, I can probably get your vacuum diagram, if you still need it, but remember a diesel engine does not make vacuum, but it does have a vacuum pump, maybe you'd better check it. If you could tell me more like, does it run better when it's hot? Is it hard to start? Is the engine light on? And things like that, you will help me, and I help you.

Dr Loot