SIGNAL TO COP7 STAYS STEADY, BAD COMPUTER?

2001 Ford F-250

2001 Ford F-250 V12 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I got an engine code P0357, and determined that I had a bad Coil over Plug (COP). I bought a new one, installed it and it smoked and burned within 10 seconds.

I purchased a new coil (COP) and spark plug, but I don't feel comfortable hooking them up yet.

I did a 12 volt light test on the input to this COP (#7 / G) and the light stays steady (no flashing) and is very bright. (Before I put in the new coil that burned, the input was flashing).

Well, now that the coil input is steady, I know the coil won't work. This is computer controlled. Does this mean I need a new computer. Is there something else that can be replaced that actually produces the flashing 12 v signal or does it come directly from the computer? What is the computer called? Where is it located? Am I looking an an ECM, PCM, or something else?

Thank you.
Hayedid

The computer controls the ground side of the coils so if the light stays on all the time it means that there is a short inside the pcm. The computer is located on the drivers side panel below the dash beside the e-brke pedal undo the 10mm bolt on connector under the hood on the fire wall and the 2 bolts inside the truck and it comes right out

TECH1FORD
Thank you.

Hayedid
Before jumping to the conclusion of have a bad PCM, you first need to eliminate the possibility that the wire connecting the coil to the PCM is shorted to ground which is more likely than a bad PCM. Unplug the PCM and measure continuity to ground from that wire when disconnected from the coil.

Wrenchtech