81 F150 DEAD

1981 Ford F-150

81 ford f150 custom with a 351 I was driving down the road when it started smoking and making a noise like something was dragging on the road shut it off and it refired but when I got to about 15 mph it shut off and all it does is click when you turn it over
Matt_522000

Have you tryed turning the motor over by hand? It sounds to me like when you started the engine the started drive did not disengauge and you messed up your starter.

NOS
No I havent tried I will try tonight and get back to you thanks for the reply

Matt_522000
Would I have to replace the starter if thats the case?
?

Matt_522000
Yes you would have to replace the starter, and hopfuly it didn't mess up the flywheel also. If that happened you will have to pull the transmission and change the ring gear on the back of the motor. Keep fingers crossed cause a starter drive is harder metal than a ring gear and can chew it up bad. (NOS)

NOS
It wont start from the solennoid tried but just clicks

Matt_522000
Turns out the engine is blown drained the oil didnt even fill the bottom of the drain pain and it smelled burnt. Pisses me off that I knew better to check it before I started it ive always checked that kinda stuff just didnt think about it. Anyway what is the most common thing that is burnt up in an engine like that and how much would an overhaul be do you think?

Matt_522000
Well that is a bummer. Seems like I asked you somewhere in a message if you could turn the motor over by hand that would have saved you some time. And me giving you some really wrong info. Most common thing is the bearing starv for oil and the bearing sieze around the crank and most likely ruin the crank. Bud you can get a lot of money tied up in an overhaul on a 351. I just put a used motor in a guys truck for him about a month ago and he had 2000.00 tied up in that and you can't overhaul a 351 for 2000.00. Why did the truck do this did you just change the oil and not put any oil back in or just failed the check it for awhile. I live in missouri so I would know what it would cost you where you are. Sorry you had all that trouble. The best thing I could tell you to do is to price a crankshaft, rod and main bearings and a new oil pump. See what all that would run you and find a shop that would not rape you on labor installing it all and the motor in the truck and go from there instead of overhauling the hole thing. And this also depends on the miles on the truck as to weather you want to do that or not(NOS) : (

NOS
Well my friend left for the marines about two weeks ago and he gave it to me to use while he is gone and I drove it home and parked it in my driveway then the next day I just took it out for a ride but anyway she was running fine then started knocking so I didnt think about checking the oil which I should have from teh beginning.

Matt_522000
?

Matt_522000