F150 DASH GAUGES STOP WORKING WHILE DRIVING

2006 Ford F-150

2006 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 59000 miles

2006 5.4, while driving I'll see the dash gauges drop, radio quits, no power windows. The, cruise, lights heater motor still work tho. After a short period they jump back up or if I stop, shut it down and restart it all is fine, for a while. I also hear what sounds like a pressure relief valve releasing, and when the gauges are down and I am coming to a stop, it sounds like the tranny is grinding. No Warranty left and can't afford the dealer prices. HELP !

Someone mentioned the ignition switch, but I am no mechanic. How would I go about replacing the ignition switch, if you believ that might be the problem?
Mick1064

It does sound like an ignition switch since you are losing non-related items like the gauges and windows. To replace the ignition switch you have to remove the steering wheel (According to Mitchell) which takes a special puller and lock plate depresser tool.I realize money is tight, the book time to repalce it looks like it is only 1 hour, plus the switch is about $85. You would almost have the hour of labor wrapped up in tool rental for the steering wheel removal.

Jack42