F150 TRUCK WON'T CRANK OVER

2004 Ford F-150

2004 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 58000 miles

I pulled up in front of my home after work yesterday and turned off engine to go inside house. As soon as I got out of truck, I realized I forgot to stop at my bank to deposit my paycheck so I got back in (this all took place within about 1-2 minutes), put my key in the ignition and turned like I always do to start-up the engine. It would not crank up or turn over, you could tell it was trying but it just spit and sputtered and dieseled and then conked out. I tried several times therafter, waiting a bit the last time. But same rsult, it will not crank over and start. What does this sound like the problem is to you? My theory is a clogged FUEL FILTER or maybe a defective FUEL PUMP. Approx. 1-2 years ago, I had a similar problem after a fuel fill at the gasoline station, when I turned the key it just kept cranking but never start.I took it then to a nearby SATURN dealer who eventually told me the problem was a CLOGGED FUEL FILTER! This a little different, not exactly the same though, but similar.I would like to know your thoughts and possibly a suggestion as to how I can determine between it being a bad fuel filter vs a bad fuel pump or whatever else you may think the problem is. One last thing, my check engine light came on about 2 weeks ago and I was ignoring it till my next oil change (in about 3-4 weeks).
Bluemoongolfer

It could be one of the two. Here is what you do. Check fuel pump pressure at the fuel rail. Here is a how to:

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

If it is low, you will need to check it before the fuel filter. If it is normal before the filter, the filter is plugged. If it is still low, the pump is the problem.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.