F150 GAS CAP COVER

2004 Ford F-150

2004 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

I have a 2004 f150 fx4 with the flairside bed, the gas cap cover (plastic) spring broke, and now the cover wont stay shut. Is there a fix for this problem? Thanks.
Mikev737

You need to replace the spring assembly. If I remember correctly, on the flair side, you can access it from under the bed.

Let me know.

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Mikev737
Also, when you open the fuel door (from the outside) check there. I know on Dodge trucks have two screws that hold the entire assembly in place to the bed side. Yours may be the same. It would make things much easier.

LEt me know if you have other questions.

I have the same problem so I was thrilled to see your reply Jacobandnickolas. There are three screws but when I take them out the blasted door still won't come out. Any other help for the both of us will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jamestheoldman
Where did you access them from? There are three screws that hold the filler tube in. Did you maybe remove them?

Get back to me with that and I see if I can find pictures for you guys.

The screws were arranged around the filler tube. It seemed like that would be all it would take but the door and surrounding plastic were loose but not loose enough to think that just pulling would get it out.

Jamestheoldman