F150 WATER CROSSOVER OUTLET LEAK

2000 Ford F-150

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100, 00 miles

Yesterday morning I tried running my heater and got no hot air, but the blower worked. In the afternoon, after driving 4 miles or so after startup, my oil light came on, so I pulled over and popped the hood. There was coolant leaking from what my mechanic informs me is the " water crossover outlet" above the intake manifold. It looks like the leak is at the gasket where the outlet housing is bolted to the manifold (I think), but he's saying they need to remove the manifold to check it out thoroughly. Seems to me they could start by replacing the gasket first (which involves removing the alternator) and see if that fixes it, but he says nope, " It's a big job". Yeah like $500 just to tear it apart and see what's wrong, plus whatever else is needed. Am I off base in thinking that this approach is overkill? Truck has 100k miles.
Dniss

Ford had problems with the plastic rotting out from under the crossover, sometimes the intake needs to be replaced

Jack42