F150 TRUCK WONʻT START

1976 Ford F-150

1976 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I just bought this truck. It immediately was having starting problems. It only starts once in a while. Usually after it has been sitting for a while, or first thing in the morning when it is really cold. Then after you stop the engine that first time, it will not start again for awhile. I replaced the neutral safety switch due to a mechanics recommendation, and it still wonʻt start. Nothing at all! The battery turns all the power on, the radio, the wipers, the lights, but there is no sound whatsoever, it does not turn over, or make any sounds. I think it may be the ignition switch, but I want professional advice. The only other thing that might be a part of the problem, is I think it has the wrong steering column in it. The steering wheel is for a ford mustang, and I donʻt know if that is all or if it is the whole column, and if that would even effect this issue at all, any ideas? Thank you
Diavia25

On the inside of the fender next to th ebattery should be a starter solenoid. Use a test light to see if the small wire is getting power with key in crank position, if not get back to me

Jack42
Yes there appears to be power coming through all the wires off the starter solenoid when the key is in the crank position and when it isnʻt.
I am just a little bit mechanically inclined, so I wasnʻt exactly sure what small wire you were referring to, so I checked them all.

Diavia25
The only small wire all by itself ont hestarter solenoid id thetrigger from theignition switch. If it lights up when key is on, then see if both sides (big wires) get power when key is in crank position. If so the starter is bad

Jack42
I just want to make sure that I am looking at the right part of the car. The starter solenoid is literally right next to the battery, like you said, on the fender wall. It is a small cylindical shape, flat on top, and it has two big wire s coming out the side, one that goes to the battery, the other to the starter. The only thing is, there are 2 small wires that are coming directly out the front towards the engine, and about 3 other small ones are coming out the side closest to the battery, so I am confused when you said only one wire. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Diavia25
There are 2 big postsl iek you said, then there should be 2 smallposts, one has a single wire to it, that is hte trigger from the ignition switch. It should go hot when key is in crank position. Then when hooked back up, the post that goes to the starter (big) should go hot when key is cranked. If it does and no crank, the starter is bad

Jack42
So if for instance it is the starter, in this particular vehicle how so you go about taking it out, when the starter is caged in by the exhaust manifolds tight, and it seems that even taking the manifolds off wonʻt free it?

Diavia25
It will go out the bottom. There are 2 bolts with 1/2 inch heads on them holding it in

Jack42