VERY HOT AIR COMES OUT OF VENTS

Ford Explorer

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Ltd; AWD with 80k miles.

Recently, the vents fan has started blowing very hot air no matter the thermostat setting. The AC/Max AC works fine. But on " vent" the air comes out very hot.

Is this a thermostat issue that can be easily fixed? Any ideas how I could repair the car cooling system? Thank you.
Trebordadda

When the A/C is on does cold air come out of the dash? Could be a blend door problem or heater control valve (if equipped) or possibly the selector on the dash. See if you can hear anything happening under the dash when you go from hot to cold

Jack42
When the A/C is on, the air comes out cold. The only problem is when I use the vent to blow ambient air without A/C. Then it comes out very hot--as if I had set the thermostat to 80 or higher. This did not use to happen previously.

Trebordadda
See if it has a heater control valve, it will be on the heater hoses. Might be broken, letting hot water into the car no matter what

Jack42