REPAIRING/REPLACING SEAT BELTS

1995 Ford Explorer

I have a 1995 V6 4WD Ford Explorer. The seat belt on the drivers side won't stay latched quite often. Normally you push on the button and it has a spring of sorts inside and after the seat belt is unlatched the button goes back to it's original position.

This seat belt seems to have lost it's spring, it's broken, I'm not sure. Not easy to see inside. The release button just stays in the release (down) position.

How can I (or can I) repair or replace this seat belt? I'm not an auto mechanic but I am good at fixing things if I know what needs to be done and have the right parts, etc. I'm not " mechanically challenged, " but I've been looking this thing over and am not sure where to start. It looks like you can get replacement belts on the net or from part stores.

If it's possible I'd rather be able to fix this myelf and save some money.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!
john
Jlyman