OIL PRESSURE

Ford Explorer

I am having a problem on my 95 explorer, last week the oil gauge started to jump around and would go up and then go down to nothing and the check engine light would come on. Then it would jump up again and be working good and then drop again. Now it is not working at all and I have noticed a little bit of knocking in my motor and have stopped driving it. Does anyone know what the problem might be. Could it be the oil pressure switch going out or the oil pump itself? Thank you for your time.

P.S. There is not leak anywhere that I can find and the oil level is good.

Mike
Michaelwhit83

The best way to tell which is which is to install an oil pressure gauge in place of the sending unit. If pressure is normal replace the OSU if not you're looking at the oil pump/engine bearings/clogged oil return galleries.

Maybe a good engine flush with the good stuff is just needed and oil pick-up screen clean-up for sludge.

Its knocking you better be concern or its gonna end up as a major repair.

I quit driving it as soon as I heard the chatter and it had only started about 5 minutes before I parked it. It sounds like a lifter, just a little chatter, but I did park the vehicle. I am going to take the oil pump off anyways tomorrow and clean it up see if it is still good. If that isnt the problem, is there anything else I can try other than than the OSU. I might just go ahead and replace it if it looks like it needs it. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Michaelwhit83
Reading the pressure this is what's gonna tell us what's happening inside the engine.

Here use this as a guide at idle the pressure should be about 8-12psi and at 2000rpm at 40psi or better-remember the higher the rpms the higher the pressure till it gets to the point then drops because of the pressure relief valve will open.