HEATER CLICKING SOUNDS IN DASH

Ford Explorer

2002 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 LTR 4X4, 86,000 MILES
THE PROBLEM I'M HAVING IS SOUNDS LIKE A DOOR IS TRYING TO SHUT IN THE DASH WHEN THE HEATER IS ON. I HAVE TO TURN THE BLOWER KNOB TO LOW AND THEN SET THE TEMPATURE KNOB WHERE I WANT IT AND THEN ONE SPEED AT A TIME, TURN THE BLOWER ON HIGH. NOW THERE IS NO HEAT COMING OUT AT ALL BUT I CAN HERE A CLICKING NOISE IN THE DASH, BUT GOES AWAY WHEN I TURN THE AC ON. WHAT MIGHT THIS BE? THANKS
TIMBOWEE

Try to get under the dash and check the blend door operation, maybe something is unhooked or electrical issue could have the door trying to open and close

TaurusWheel
That happened to me this morning on my 2003 explorer. Did you get it fixed? What was wrong?

Thanks! Cheryl

ChillyinMI
Sounds like the blend door actuator. The part runs around $50 but is quite involved to replace especially on a Lincoln Towncar. Don't know about the Ford Explorer. You have to pull the dash on the Towncar. The part is somewhere behind the glove box area.

Tex