: ENGINE LOSES POWER.

1998 Ford Explorer

Make: Ford
Model: Explorer
Year: 1998
Mileage: 90,000
Engine: 6V 4.0L SOHC

The failure on my truck can be noticed in 2 different situations:

1.- When accelerating after being making a stop on traffic light. The engine experience a hard time to advance for a short time and then it gets better. It is never shut off. It is like the gas is not being fed to the engine properly during the acceleration but gets better later.

2.- Same happens when trying to rush a car on road. I.E. We can go over 45 miles/hr and try to rush a vehicle by accelerating, the engine experience a hard time to advance.

I've replaced many things such: VMV, EVR, EGR, Spark plugs and wires but the failure remains the same. Also, ECU do not shows any OBD II code.

Any help to find what could be causing this failure, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Wolverine

If it is not missing or fast shaking. It does sound like possible fuel starvation.
I would get a fuel pressure gauge. You can buy them for about 30.00, borrow or even rent them. Some of the chain parts stores loan tools for free with fuly refundable deposit.
You can also use an ac manifold holse from a gauge set.I think they are 3/8 threads. But for a gford you will need the adaptor that screw to the fuel rail fitting. It looks like a tire valve stem metal end.
The long hose is great since you can hook it up. Run it up under the windshied wiper with a towel under it to protect glass. Shut the hood and drive it to watch during real world drivind conditions.
If your fuel pressure drops below.25-28 your have a problem with fuel.
Normal pressure should be at least 32-35 all the time.

TobyU
Thanks for your recommendation. I will try to get that gauge and test the fuel pressure while driving by this coming weekend. But, ain't that supposed to set a code on PCM. How can we name this failure? Can we say is surging? Engine hesitation?

Wolverine