95 BRAKE LIGHTS

1995 Ford Explorer

The brake lights on my 95 Limited Edition Ford Explorer are not coming on. The truck has 124,000 miles. The third light works fine. I've checked the bulbs and fuses both are fine.
A mechanic looked it over and after testing the electrical currents in the front and back said there is no current reaching back to the brake lights. The current starts off good and is disconnected somewhere btwn the front and back.
Should I take this problem to the Ford dealer or can a regular mechanic fix it? How much should it cost? Could there be something else affecting the lights?
Natasha1076

Sounds like you have a bad brake light sw which is above the brake pedal.

Losone
The mechanic looked above the brake pedal, I'm not sure what he was looking at exactly but he and another guy were in that area. And didnt come up with anything.

Natasha1076
You need to find a mechanic that knows what he is doing. That style of switch has been used from 1967 to 1997 and has always given that kind of trouble. I have replaced several hundred over the last 40- years.

Again, It is mounted on the brake pedal pivot on the dash extension that holds the brake pedal. I have attached a picture and cost of one from NAPA. Let me know.

Losone
Is this an issue that I should take to a Ford dealership or can a regular mechanic fix it? How much do you estimate it costing to fix? Thank you so much for your insight! I wish we were closer I'd bring the car to you! : D

Natasha1076
I am looooong ago retored after owning a shop for 40+ years. The switch is about $15.00 and I could replace it in 10 minutes. Ford shop would cost about $75.00, take it too a different mechanic or try it your self. It is a little tricky to get too but not hard to change.

Losone
I can do it myself? I saw how the guy was under the console by the brakes. Is it like a pop in and out thing?

I just got off with a Ford dealership. $145.68 to change and run a diagnostic check to be sure that is the problem or $65.73 to just change switch.

If I can do it myself PLEASE tell me how.

Natasha1076
I just finished talking with the mechanic and he said he didnt think it was the stoplight switch because the front lights are working. Does this sound right?

Natasha1076
He is also an idiot. The front light have nothing to do with the barke lights. Go to a parts store and buy a sw. Look under the dash and locate the sw. You will see a clip that secures the bracket holding the sw. Remove the bracket, remove the sw and replace it. It si worth the effirt and a good learning experience--don't be afraid, it will be OK

Losone
Well I did just that, went to NAPA bought a switchight, replaced the old one and. Still no brake lights : cry: I'm going to have to get a diagnostic from Ford to find out where the problem is. : (

Natasha1076
Hummm the circuit also goes through the turnsignal switch. Turn on your emergency flashers and see if they work

Losone