REAR WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT

2004 Ford Explorer

Tires and Wheels problem
2004 Ford Explorer Four Wheel Drive Automatic

What is the procedure for replacing the rear wheel bearings on a 2004 Ford Explorer?

I have been looking online for a parts break-down or something to show what I need to do, but I haven't found one yet.

Our Ford dealer told us that on the front wheel bearings you replaced the hub and all. Is this the case for the rear wheels also?
Clifford A. Parker

I recently replaced my front wheel bearing (hub assembly and all) part cost $185.00 and took me (not a mechanic at all!) About 3 hours.

All I did was: -remove the wheel
-remove the brake pads
-remove the caliper (two bolts)
-remove a mounting bracket (two bolts)
-remove the hub (three bolts)
*the old bearing took some pounding to get out once the bolts were out, which were the biggest pain. I reccommend heating the bolts because there is lock-tight substance on the threads which made them very difficult to remove.
-clean the space where the old wheel bearing/hub come from
-inserting the new wheel bearing/hub
-put back together.

I am not sure if its the same on your 04' and since you have a 4x4 it may be different. If not, its not too painful to do.

Hope this helps

ODINM