DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES

2004 Ford Explorer

Computer problem
2004 Ford Explorer V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

What do the following diagnostic trouble codes mean? E013, A659, 9352, and 0318. Two days ago, when I started up my car, the message display went into test mode. It gave me the above trouble codes and some other numbers, 4L2T-10849-CF and Serial # 0085885A. I am a single female and want to know whether or not I should think about getting a new car, or if this is a minor problem easily repaired. Thank you so much for your help. Jana
Queenjana1

The Ford dealer should be able to tell you what the codes mean over the phone, I would hesitate to take it there unless they were forthcoming with this information. There are OBDII faults that can be read out of the car with a generic OBDII fault code reader, some of the auto parts chains will perform this service at no charge and will allow us to guide you through these issues, please have this operation performed and repost with the results. Thank you.

Dr. Hagerty
If you have a Ford with a message center and it drops into test mode by itself, (usually in cold weather) most Ford technicians can't even tell you why or what the error codes E013, 9352, A659, 9318 or D900 mean, but the fix is to replace your battery. Even if your battery does not act like it is starting to go bad, with all the electronics in the newer cars just slight drop in the output from the battery can cause this. That is why cold weather aggravates this problem.

Dgrinnan