BLINKER, TO BRAKE LIGHTS, TO CAN'T PUT I

2004 Ford Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

This past weekend, I tried to fix what I thought was just a bulb out. When we turned the left blinker on, it flashed rapidly. However, after replacing the rear bulb, which was dim but still lit a little, the blinker acted the same; the new bulb was no brighter than the old. In the process, I managed to break the soldered wiring connectors for the bulb receptacle. I'm no soldering expert, but I think I soldered the wires back together sufficiently -- everything worked the same as before.

Then, I began looking at the fuses. I replaced the fuse to the hazard lights, which also controls the blinkers. However, after doing so, the break lights do not work. The blinkers do work correctly now, though. In addition to the break lights not working, but I think related, I cannot put the vehicle into gear. I hope this is another fuse problem, which I potentially could have caused as I was soldering and replacing fuses.

Any advice? I'm at a loss right now and do not want to spend any more than I have to on this FORD piece of ****.

Thanks,
Troubled in West Richland, WA
Clintwilson

Hi clintwilson,

You have blown the brake fuse.