THERMOSTAT

2003 Ford Explorer

Engine Cooling problem
2003 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94,000 miles

while Im driving the temp. Gauge goes up to the H for about 10-15 sec. And then returns to normal. This happens about every 3-5 min. I have checked the radiator fluids and they always seem a little low, so I fill them up, turn the truck on and everything runs fine. No leaks or anything until I start driving. The temp gauge goes up and I start smelling radiator fluid, so I pop the hood and the reservoir is low and there is fluid leaking under the right fender, however there is no sign of leakage anywhere on or around the reservoir or the radiator! My intuition tells me its the thermostat, however with the advancement of technology it could be the tire pressure that's causing it for all I know. Anyway, any advice? -Rory-
Rorybyork

What I recommend you do is have the system pressure tested. Under pressure, it will leak and you should be able to find it. Make sure it isn't a headgasket. Have you checked the motor oil to see it there is any coolant getting into it?