BATTERY REPLACEMENT ISSUE

2003 Ford Explorer

2003 Ford Explorer 6 cyl 110000 miles

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport, which I replaced the Battery on yesterday. The problem I have is related to the piece that clamps the battery down on the side where the terminals are (so it won't shift around while driving).

I had some trouble getting the bolt loose to remove the old battery, and I think I either lost a piece in the process, or the bolt may have snapped. When I eventually got it removed, I only had about a 1/2 - 1 inch bolt removed, without any threading below to screw into. There is a bolt that's connected to the bottom of the battery tray that I think may be the other portion of this one. Does anyone know if the 2003 Explorer Sport has a long bolt (i.E. 3+ inches, I think) to clamp this down, or if there is another piece that would connect the 2 bolts that I may have lost?

(hopefully I described this well)
Heals822

Did your battery mount have a rubber block that sat low on the battery and wedged against the battery or the type that goes up and over the battery itself?

It is the kind with a rubber block that wedges in there.

Heals822
Actually, the bolt is only about an inch long. If the bolt doesn't looked broken, then chances are the nut that is welded to the battery box came off.

What I would suggest is to go to the local parts store and purchase a general replacement hold down, one of the ones that goes over the battery. It will come with two long bolts that are shaped like a " J" at the botton. You just need to either find a bolt hole that it will fit through or drill new holes in the battery box for them to mount to.

Once you do that, then you just need to place the top of the mount over the top of the battery and place the nuts on the threaded bolts that it came with. It's easy to do.

However, if you want to reuse the one it came with, you will need check if the nut broke off or the bolt broke. If the bolt broke, you need to drill it out. If the nut came off, you will need to gain access through the inner fender well, and place a new bolt through the hole, and then reach in and put a nut on the other end.

Let me know if you have other questions.