ELECTRICAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2002 Ford Explorer

2002 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 112, 00 miles

Gents, I have a 2002 Ford Explorer(Aust Version) and the automatic transmission is flaring intermittently and the Engine light is constantly on.
I have taken the car to the local Ford dealer and he has serviced the transmission and assured me that mechanicaly it is fine. He told me that in trying to diagnose the fault the scanner was showing unusual readings like when the car is in drive it is showing it is in reverse and the other way around. The Ford dealer seems to think it is an electrical fault possibly to do with the engine light continually being on.
The EGR sensor and both exhaust sensors have been replaced and I still have the same problem. I am just wondering where I go from here?
Chenzo

If the scanner is saying that the transmission is in the wrong gear, it would point to the MLPS sensor. This is the manual lever position sensor. It is located on the outside of the transmission where the shift linkage connects to the transmission. This sensor tells the computer which gear is selected by the shift linkage.

Jgarofalo