OVERDRIVE LIGHT BLINKS ON AND OFF RANDOM

2000 Ford Explorer

2000 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

my overdrive light comes on and blinks off and on when I sometiimes round a curve or when I am speeding up. I have to turn the engine off then back on to stop it from blinking. Transmission does not shift right when it is doing this. What could cause this or is my transmission bad or is it a sensor
Deborahbryan

First, if it happens when turning, make sure the fluid is clean and full. As far as your question, what does the trans do when the light is flashing? Also, when it is doing this, you need to have the computer scanned to identify what is causing the problem.

Let me know what happens when it lights.

Changed transmission fluid recently when the light comes on and flashes the trans does not want to shift correctly it kind of jumps into next gear but when it doesnt come on my trans shifts just fine

Deborahbryan
If I had to guess, I would say you have a bad shift solenoid which is causing the problem. My best recommendation is to have the computer scanned when the light is flashing. That way you will know exactly where the problem is coming from rather than a guess from me. I don't like to give information without being sure.

Try that and let me know what you find.

Thank you I will

Deborahbryan
Let me know what you find.