OIL PROBLEM

2000 Ford Explorer

2000 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 137000 miles

I just purchased a ford explorer from a buddy of mine. The mileage was 8000 past oil change. The car worked fine for a few days then yesterday it did not start. It sounds as if the battery doesnt have enough juice to turn the engine over. I didnt want to jump it because im scared it will burn up somthing in the engine because there may be no oil. Should I try to change the oil myself, jump it, or have it taken somewhere. I have no idea what step I should take because I do not have a dipstick.
Tx1290

Was there a problem with oil pressure prior to this happening? If not, jump it. If you hear a knocking or ticking in the engine, shut it down. Keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge to make sure it's getting pressure.

Chances are the battery needs replaced. I would also get the oil changed. If it's the 4.0L, the oil filter points straight down on the engine near the oil pan (passanger side). It is an easy one to do. Drain the oil, replace the drain plug, remove the filter, place a thin film of oil on the new oil filter's gasket and replace it as tight as you can by hand then 1/4 turn with a filter wrench.

It will take about 15 minutes to do. I would also get a new dip stick ASAP so you know the level. I believe the 4.0 holds 5 quarts. I would start at 4.5 and then add the other quart if it isn't full. But again, you need to get a dip stick.