ENGINE STALLS AND DIES

1999 Ford Explorer

1999 Ford Explorer V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

my 99 ford explorer will start and have power but dies. It continues to have power if I give it gas and will drive if I am conitnously giving it gas but will die when I let off of it. Eventually it will kick in, usually after a few seconds of holding the gas in, but lately its been taking longer. The idle runs really low, does this have anything to do with it? And if it does how do I change fix?
Jeff1721

First thing you need to do is have the codes read, Autozone does it free, Post the results with the code number(s). Even if the service engine light is not on, there should be freeze frame data stored.
If it won't make it to Autozone, buy a cheap scanner, they can be had for 30-40 dollars, a good investment, since they cover all cars sold in the USA from 96 on.
If the light is blinking, it means possible damage to the converter. Service it right away!

Merlin2021