TRYING TO CORRECT PREVIOUS MODIFICATIONS

1998 Ford Explorer

1998 Ford Explorer 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 117000 miles

I need some help figuring out how to correct some modifications made by the previous owner of my x. When I open the driver's side door the courtesy light does not come on, neither does the little ding, ding, ding when the lights are left on or the key is in the ignition. Also, when locking the doors with the key fob the horn will sound, although the lights do not flash.

I removed the door panel and it appears that the switch was removed. I found the wire connection for the door ajar switch dangling in the door well and it looks like someone installed a different bolt into door actuator, which is in a location that I could see the door ajar switch working. Can I install the switch in another location, rather than taking out the latch, etc?

What do I need to do to install a new switch? Would the door ajar switch being missing cause the dinger to not work when the lights are on or the key is in the ignition?

David
David276

I would go to a salvage or wrecking yard and get the right latch so the switch will be correct too. So do that first and then we can tackle the other problems. Get back to me and we will go from there.

Racefan966