STUCK IN 4 WHEEL DRIVE

1998 Ford Explorer

Other Category problem
1998 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I recently noticed that after someone drove my Explorer, that the 4wd low light was on. When I noticed this, I looked at the switch, and it was in auto (the 4wd was turned off). Now the light is off and it still feels as if it is still engaged. A friend had me try to powerbrake it for another problem and it would not even budge the tires. Plus my gas milage went down about 100 miles per tank. There is also a big loss of power when accellorating. I've been told many things that " could" be wrong with it, but, no for sure answers. HELPPPP!
Elmcleod

Have it scanned for codes. There will be a trouble code stored int he PCM pertaining to the 4wd system ifit isnt working properly. Get back with the codes. Sen quite a few of the motors on the t-case go bad, but get it scanned and we will go from there

Jack42
You might just losen the shift motor on transfer case and wiggle it and see if it will come out of low range. Do NOT pull it out, just wiggle it back and forth. Because there is a problem getting it back in. I had same problem with my 98. This worked for me, and no more problems with it for last 3 years. Seems something will stick inside motor and this will free it up.

Paridgerunner