STARTER SOLENOID

1998 Ford Explorer

1998 Ford Explorer V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic

Where is the starter solenoid located? Was told between battery and fuse box but nothing there and was also told attached to firewall by battery.
Crazybeach38452

The starter solenoid is attached to the starter itself, rarely serviced separately anymore. What it the problem you are having.
Let me know & I will do my best to help you.
Dan

Danauthier
When I turn the key nothing happens. Dont even crank or anything. I have lights, radio and everything but when I turn the key nothing happens.

Crazybeach38452
There is a starter relay for your vehicle, I haven't been able to find the locationfor youi but that maybe your issue. There is also a recall (artical# 01-6-2) dealing with the factory anti theft system that will cause a no crank condition like you describe (if your vehicle is so equipt)
If your vehicle is an automatic the range selector switch also acts as the neutral safty switch that keeps the engine to only starting in the park & neutral positions, try shiting to neutral and trying to start it & then if that does not work try shifting back to park & keep slight pressure on the parklever to be sure it is in park & try again.
If your vehicle has a standard trans, there is a clutch safety switch activated by the clutch pedal & it may be failing.
I am sorry I miss understood you earlier. There is a relay that is also called a solenoid, it has two large posts and two smaller posts for wires, it is located near your battery on the inner fender on your vehicle. It is activated by the ignition switch and sends power to the starter. This part is replaceable separate from starter.
There is also a part on the starter (the smaller of the two round components of a starter) It controls the power to the starter (in simple terms) This is the solentoid I thougt your were talking about & is not normally serviced separatly.
If possible check with your local for dealer on that recall.
Hope this helps,
Dan

Danauthier
I tried to start in neutral didnt work now as far as the one by the batter and fender there isn't one someone told me that they might have bypassed that one and the only one I may have is the one attached to the started itself.

Crazybeach38452