ECM????

1998 Ford Explorer

Computer problem
1998 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 119000 miles

My 98 Ford explorer 4.0sohc will run fine in neutral or park. Once you put it into any gear it will spit and sputter and barly go, sometimes not go at all. The obdII reader is reading o2 sensors, egr valve, tranny codes.I replaced the tranny and still have the same problem. Do you think it may be the ECM?
Joshua24

You did clear all codes when the new tranny went in? Usually if the ecm is bad, it wnt idle well either. May be the egr is sticking, or opening the wrong time, there is also a known fuel pump problem on these trucks, the cure was a new style pump. There also was a problem in the plastict intakes, the gasket between the two halfs disintegrates, and you get vacuum leaks that show up as codes p0171 and p0174. Spray some throttle body cleaner on the intake at the corners and the seams, if the idle changes, you have a leak.

Merlin2021