THERMOSTAT?

1997 Ford Explorer

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Automatic 120000 miles

My Explorer just started doing this. The temp gage will go to normal temp very quickly and stay there. I drove it around and the overflow tank stayed at the cool level. Also when I turn on the vent, A/C, or heater no matter the temp setting it blows hot air. Is this a thermostat problem or is there something more?
Mcob

If it was the thermostat you probably wouldnt be getting hot air, or just a normal reading it would be right to HOT.

How long does it take to get to normal? Does the radiator hoses get hot at all or do they stay cold?

Blackop555
It takes about 6 minutes to get to temp. The large hose on the right (passenger) side gets hot. I checked it today and with the engine running there seemed to be no pressure in that hose. All the other lines I could find were cool. Could this be a water pump?

Mcob
" temp guage to normal & stays there" is correct, normal operation. What you've (most commonly) got is a broken " blend door" - remove entire instrument panel & plenum cover to replace.

(help)
Could be the water pump, when the engine is hot hold the hose tight then release, you should feel pressure build and then when released you shoudl feel water rush by.

I dont think it would really be the water pump due to the vehicle woudl overheat, not just get hot. The thermostat sounds good. Check the lower radiator hose.

Blackop555