REPLACED CV JOINTS, BUT STILL CLANKING?!

1997 Ford Explorer

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1997 Ford Explorer V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

We just replaced the CV axle joints in our 97 Ford Explorer and it is still making a clicking clanking noise! My husband and his buddy who is a mechanic were 99% sure it was the CV axles, but obviously that is not the issue. It seems to be coming more from the front drivers side. My husband things it could be the gears in the " pumpkin"? It's kind of frustrating that we just spent our last $160 on these CV axles just to find that it was not the issue. What do you think is the problem here? Should we avoid driving it until we can afford to fix it? Is short trips ok? Or are we stuck? LOL
Jkaar04

When do you hear the noise? Is it all of the time, when turning, stopping? Can you better describe the sound?

HI there,

with the new CV's fitted, one would be thinking that this type of noise is in the front diff, I would first drain the oil and check it with a magnet for anty evidence of a broken tooth, start here.

Mhpautos
It started out louder coming from the front driver side mostly when turning, especially to the left. Now its all the time and the slower we drive the slower the noise and faster when we accelerate.

Jkaar04