ELECTRICAL NOT WORKING

1997 Ford Explorer

1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

My Explorer. Seems to have an electrical problem. We've checked all of the fuses, although the things that aren't working are not even on the same fuses. The front and rear wipes do not work, the rear defrost does not work, the power windows do not work, and the dome light does not work. The front passenger door lock does not lock when you hit the overall lock button, and now the button on the driver's side door to lock the doors with doesn't always work. Put a brand new battery in just about two months ago. Oh--it doesnt always start either. Any ideas? Thanks much!
KarenTheExplorer

Are you two door? Check for applicable trouble codes. Some of the national brand autostores used to check codes for free. If I posted a wiring diagram, would it help? There is service bulletin about electrical issues, you have to do a lot of testing.

It's a 4-door. To take it to Auto Zone to test for a code, would'nt it need to have a Check Engine light on? (Which it does not.) I need to get this thing going for the upcoming NE Ohio weather! Thanks!

KarenTheExplorer
I always check for codes, just habit, I guess. Pending codes may not turn on the lite. You can check the fuses for voltage. Fuse 27 won't go hot unless relay is energized.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_explorer_power_windows_1.jpg