WHY IS THIS SO HARD?

1996 Ford Explorer

1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I took my Ex to Cottman Trans about a month ago for a total rebuild and it's still in the shop. The first 3 attempts to fix the problem were failures, the car did shift, but very sluggishly. O/d light kept coming on and blinking, the car finally stopped shifting again altogether. Also, car developed a starter problem, it would crank for up to 30 seconds before starting, but this was an intermittent problem that seems to worsen the hotter the car gets.
Today when told it was fixed, I drove it about 1000 feet before hearing a God awful grinding sound, the car coasted to a rest, and the tranny was stuck in neutral.
The repair person looked at it, it wouldn't turn over for him, but he claims now that it's a flywheel issue.
Could a faulty repair have caused the flywheel to fail, and what are my options if it did? Do you think that if the failed tranny caused the flywheel failure, Cottman should pay for the flywheel?
Thanks, Gary
GaryNahs