SPEEDOMETER

1996 Ford Explorer

Interior problem
1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 65,000 miles

hey guys thank you for answering my last question.
The speedometer does not work in my Explorer.
It work like it was suppose to until the thing reached 60,000 miles. Is there a quick fix to this problem? If there is give some suggestion on how to fix it. Also my check engine is on but it is running fine. Is this common for this
model? I use my truck for business purposes could you please answer me as promptly as you can.

Thanks,
Kevin Kendrick
Kevinkendrick1

Get the check engine light scanned and post back the codes that come with it advanced auto part store will scan it for you. Get the code in p**** format and post back what it is and I can help you diagnose

the check engien light is never a common occurance for any model because when it comes on it can mean hundreds of possibilities. So get it scanned and get back to me.

Did you notice light came on and speedometer quit working at same time?'
when you say it dont work. Is it pegged full out? Resting at 0? Way bellow 0? Inacurate?

Blackop555
I apologize guys, it is my odometer that stoped
working at 60,000 miles. The speedometer is
working fine. Please get back to me soon. Hopefully
you will add this question as an continuation to the
5.00 donation I gave to get my recent feed back.
Could this be a fuse problem?

Will the Auto parts store charge me to do a diagnostics on my engine?

Kevinkendrick1
Did the odometer stop workign right after you reset it? Did you perform the procedure I told you to?

Blackop555
The odometer is sitting on 0's. The check engine light came on way after the odometer quit working.

Kevinkendrick1
The odometer tells you mileage.
Tachometer tells you rpm
and speedometer is speed.

Is it digital or a dial type. There is 2 different kinds in your year model. Did it stop working after resetting the mileage one day?

Blackop555
My speedometer does not work and my odometer
does not work. Yes I reset the odometer and it stopped working. It is the dial type

Kevinkendrick1
You just said the speedometer doesnt work and the odometer doesnt work? Sorry but I dont know what your trying to say because it changes alot. Im just trying to verify! Sorry

Blackop555
Not sure where my head is but the speedometer is
working. It shows how fast I am driving. My odemeter is not. My trip meter is not working either. My trip meter is sitting on 000001.
My mileage odometer is stuck on 58,698.

Kevinkendrick1
Ok. Yoru vehicle is notorious for having a issue with the odometer and trip meter goign out. It is caused by a worm gear on the back of the motor that operates the digits for the trip counter it usually cracks or weears out beyond use.

You can try to find a new worm gear but ive seen them between 30-60 dollar for a new one if you can find one!

You best bet is to go to a junk yard and tear out the motor and gear assembly and see if its functional and replace it in yours.

Blackop555
And for future refrence. Dont try to reset the odometer with the vehicle in motion that really helps the gear wear out.

Blackop555