INTERMITTENT STARTING

1996 Ford Explorer

1996 Ford Explorer V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 186, 00 miles

In the past year I have had to start putting the key into the start position and waiting to hear for the fuel pump to engage before turning the engine over. Recently, if I drive my car anywhere the engine feels hot and it won't start for about 2-3 hours after. I can drive it to someplace but have to wait a while before trying to start the car again.

I have drained the transmission fluid, do regular oil changed, fuel filter changed, oil filters, air filter, etc.
I have changed out the spark plugs and spark plug wires for new ones within the last year.
I replaced the crank shaft sensor.
I had the fuel line pressure checked and it was fine and the fuel pump was fine.
I put a new thermostat in a few days ago, check engine light went off, but it's still starting only when it wants to.
Checked the fuses and everything looked good there.
I had a small leak in my radiator and used " silver seal" in it to stop it up until I have the money for a new radiator.

Any advice on what I'm missing that could cause it to start only when it wants to?
Miah2bzy

Have you checked the EEC relay?

I have tried to find it and can't. I looked in my cars manaul and did not find it in the fuse listings. Where would it be at?

Miah2bzy
It should be under the hood in the relay block (power distribution box) I believe it is on the passanger side.

Let me know if you find it.

I found the fuse box, and the power distribution box. It's not in either of those (3 big relays and an array of fuses). The only thing close was the fuel pump relay. I found another box next to by battery in the wall just above the wheel well but none are listed (2 bigger relays and 4 medium sized ones). I swapped out the relays but that didn't do anything different.

Miah2bzy
I found the blown relay. It was in another box under the air filter on the passenger side. Thanks!

Miah2bzy
Did it take care of the problem?