HELP! NEW NOISE W/ REAR AXLE AFTER NEW B

1996 Ford Explorer

Noises problem
1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 105850 miles

Hi All,

I took my car in for a tune up and to replace the brakes. When I got the car back, there's a new knocking sound when I apply the brakes. I thought they did not tighten everything down well, so I took the car back in. When I picked it up, turns out it wasn't the brakes, which looked just fine, but it was the rear axle making the knocking sound. The mechanic raised the back of the car off the ground and showed me the back tires move a little. Even that little movement caused a small knocking noise that sounded like a quieter version the one I hear when I drive.

Any idea what might have caused the rear axle to suddenly be loosened? Is it possibly expensive to fix?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I'm supposed to take my car back in two days (on 9/11/09).

Thank you so much for reading and/or helping!
Becca
Rbalerini

The brakes shouldn't have had anything to do with it. Also, a small amount of play is normal. As far as getting it repaired, I believe they make a shim kit that is placed in the differential to take up the play. But like I said, up to about 1/8th inch play is normal.