ENGINE CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START.

1996 Ford Explorer

Hello I have a 1996 Ford Explorer with 166,899 miles. My engine cranks but will not start. After sitting for a couple of days it started. Now it won't start again but it still cranks. Tried to jump start, tried tapping starter and checked for loose plugs and hoses, engine still won't start but continues to crank.

What could be the problem?

Sir1duke

I have a 1994 with the same problem and I'm yet to figure it out. You want to determine whether it's a fuel or spark problem. I'm going to guess it's a spark problem. First check all your wires (including plug wires) and connectors. Then run electrical tests on your entire ignition system. Plugs, sensors and relays, coil pack, and ignition control module. That list started with the least expensive and went up. The ICM for my truck was 150 dollars.
Then do checks for your fuel system. Including fuel filter, fuel pump (and relay), fuel pressure regulator, etc.
I advise you get a Haynes manual from your local auto parts store. They guide you through the tests fairly well.
Good luck. I'm still searching for the problem with mine. I'll let you know as soon as I solve my problem.

Sponger