DRIVER SEAT DOOR LOCK PROBLEM

1996 Ford Explorer

Interior problem
1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I've been having a fairly confusing problem with the lock on my explorer. After taking the panel off and looking at it more closely, i've learned nothing. It has already had a problem with the rod connecting the key assembly to the actuator coming off, which I have fixed. The new problem, however is that when I close the door I am unable to unlock it except when I use the interior handle. The actuator makes noises and shakes the knob at the top like it is trying to engage, but never engages fully. The most confusing part is that the problem does not occur when the door is open. I have even pushed a socket into the latch mechanism to make it " think" it is closed, and the lock works fine. Please help! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Exploder96