TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1996 Ford Explorer

1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

My problem is similar to the question about the 1993 Explorer with 175k miles. However, mine fixed itself overnight but I don't trust it to drive it. If it did it once it will do it again.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/301853_Picture_2_1.jpg

Chrislawrence

Hi: The copy you made is too small to read. Can you explain the problem?

Sorry, here it is below. My problem is similar to this one. My truck, however, fixed itself overnight but if it did it once it will do it again. The previous answer was something is wrong in the transfer case. Do yo agree with that?

" My explorer will not go into gear, I turned off my 4x4 last night and when I didi it made a buzzing noise! I tried to turn my 4x4 on again but it just made the same buzzing noise in the rear. I then tried to put it in drive and it would not move, I then tried to put it in any gear and it still would not work. I then put it in park and there was a grinding noise like you would hear in a manual tranny that had missed the clutch. And slowly stopped grinding. I checke the tranny fluid and it was fine. I had it towed home and when the driver took it off the lift it started to roll away while in park.

Chrislawrence
Hi: The grinding is the transfer case trying to engage in gear. The fact that it rolled in park indicated it was in neutral or between gears. The buzzing noise you heard is most likely the 4wd actuator. It is an electric motor mounted on the transfer case and it changes the transfer from 2wd to 4wd. That would be the first thing I have checked. You can remove it yourself and see if the shaft is moving.

If the car is working again, it is most likely freezing up on you.

Let me know if this helps.

Joe — Looks like your diagnosis was correct. I replaced the transfer case motor this morning and it worked the first time. Drove it around a little and switched 4wd on and off several times and it came back each time. Eventually the indicator light on the dash went out but the 4wd still worked. Shut the car off and turned it on again and the light came back on. No more than I use the 4wd that probably won't matter that much. Not sure what could have caused that.

Chrislawrence
I had a feeling that is what it was. I'm glad to hear it's working again. As far as the light, that has me confused too. I wonder if simply disconnecting the battery for a few minutes would reset the computer. Give it a try; it won't hurt anything.

I'm not really worried about the lights. That seems to have been a problem with this Explo on and off since I bought it. Thanks for everything. I will look here first next time.

Chrislawrence