WHINING IN REVERSE ONLY

1995 Ford Explorer

1995 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 181230 miles

I just bought a 95 explorer 4.0 with 4wd I have been driving the truck just fine with no problems. Tonight my wife and I went to go to dinner and the truck will not go into reverse at all. It just makes a real fast whining/grinding noise. I pushed it into the driveway and drove it in drive and everything was fine but as soon as I stopped and put it in reverse it does the same thing. I can only go forward right now. What is happening. It drive perfect until I washed it.
Adambodkins

If it had reverse till you washed it, have a look at the electrical connection at the tranny, get any water out of the connector, and put some dieelictric grease in the connector.

Merlin2021
Well after tinkering around for about an hour I figured it out. I had the 4wd knob slightly turned between 2wd and 4wd auto I must have bumped it from amoral but it is betternow

Adambodkins
Sometimes we do get lucky!

Merlin2021