MASTER CYLINDER

1994 Ford Explorer

Brakes problem
1994 Ford Explorer Four Wheel Drive 130000 miles

I have got most of the information on how to replace it but I heard that " bench bleeding" is needed for the master cylinder before it is replaced. What exactly does that mean? And is it really necessary if your going to bleed the brake lines anyways?
Tommyboy800

Hi there,

Mount the master cylinder in a vice by the mounting flange so the push rod end faces you. If no push rod fitted use a large Philips head screw driver as a push rod. Fill reservoir, and push in push rod all the way. Block out lets with finger tips and release push rod. Do not remove fingers untill push rod is ll the way back or air will enter the master cylinder. Push rod back in again, be careful as the fluid will now start to spray out under pressure, re block when fluid stops running and re lease push rod. Repeat several times. Always re bleed all brakes when master cylinder has been removed and wash down spilt brake fluid with plenty of clean water.

Mhpautos