AUTO PARTS STORES STUMPED

1994 Ford Explorer

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1994 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110, 00 miles

Hi an d thx for this forum. Simply put, when I remove the front left wheel of my explorer, after taking the lug nuts of off, still holding the tire/wheel in my hands I lay the upside down and looking inside the back of the wheel is a broken o-ring.

it is a 3-4inch o-ring and its sitting in an o-ring slot, on the back of the wheel.

the front left wheel makes a ton of noise as I drive which is why I noticed it, I think its part of the 4-wheel drive system, not sure though.

the metal part that the broken o-ring is sitting in seems to be half of the metal part, the other half stays on the axle when I pull the tire off.

every auto parts store in my area, about 7 of em, all say the same thing, we've never seen this before. My son brought them the o-ring and still have no clue.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, other than taking it to my local dealer : )

Thanks in advance, Shawn
1994fe