OVERHEATED

1992 Ford Explorer

Engine Cooling problem
1992 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 200000 miles

My '92 Explorer overheated 25miles from home, as I was driving it began making a gurggling sound, and lost power. I pulled off roadway, and let cool off. Replaced water in radiator, then drove another 21 miles before it again overheated, again I pulled off highway and allowed it to cool off, replaced lost water, and drove the remaining distance home.
I am pretty sure it is the water pump, however a mechanic I know said he feels it blew the head gasket, he replace my heater core a couple months ago, and when he tested cooling system, told me there was Hydrocarbons in the engine.
Midtech

It could be the thermostat sticking when it gets old or you havn't had coolant flushed for a while it can cause buildup to occur and it could be sticking and not allowing coolant in try replacing it its the cheapest fix

Mikemanis
It could be your water pump gasket. It most likely is your freeze plug if you have been running tap water through the block. This leads to corrosion of the freeze plugs.

OEFcountry

Here are a few things to look at.

First thing is the Fan Clutch - with engine cold spin fan it should spin pretty easy. Now run engine to operating temp then turn off, spin fan again it should be hard to spin. If spins same as when cold replace Fan Clutch.

Next - with engine cold remove radiator cap. Start engine, look for bubbling and smell for exhaust fumes. If has exhaust smell, then yes you do have a blown head gasket.

Also feel upper radiator hose, be carefull could be hot, if with engine at operating temp upper hose feel cold or not as hot as you think it should be then could have stuck thermostat.

Check out above and post findings.

.

Obxautomedic