RIP-OFF???

2001 Ford Expedition

Other Category problem
2001 Ford Expedition V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 101k miles

What should it cost to get a 2001 Expedition serviced, brake pads changed? When the service shop called I was quoted $460 for service (lube, change oil, change fuel, oil, & oil filters), new battery ($110+labor - did not have this done, have had no problems with battery), and change DPFE Sensor (had a problem with this and check engine light kept coming on). I also needed a Brake job done.
The guy from the shop told me the grand total including turning the rotors would be $1040. I needed a minute to think about this, I was under the truck a week ago and the rotors were smooth, no grooves, gouges, nothing that I believe would justify turning the rotors.
I'm no mechanic, but I normally change my own brakes. Is turning the rotors something that is normally done when brake pads are changed?
So when I called back I had them go ahead with the service/lube, DPFE sensor, and change brakes (do not turn rotors, or change battery). I was told if they didn't turn the rotors they wouldn't guarantee the brakes. WTF? OK whatever then don't give me the guarantee, I don't want to shell out that kind of scratch on brakes.

When I went to pick it up the bill was $830, Which breaks down to this: Service P& L $105, DPFE Sensor P& L $149, Brakes (pads only) $435.12 ($233.57 parts, $201.55 Labor), Then they had the nerve to charge another $70 for diagnostic (used to verify DPFE sensor was bad) and to check the brakes. I had already told them I wanted new brakes, why do they need to check them, so they can sell me on turning the rotors? The rest of the cost was grease, oil, shop supplies, and tax.
My question is what should these services cost? Why would a shop charge to check something that they do the repairs on? I could understand if they diagnosed, or checked a problem, then I didn't have them fix it, but not when they did the repairs.
S.i.