PROBLEM WITH EGR VALVE INTAKE

Ford Escort

Hi, I have a four cylinder 98 Ford Escort with 181,000 miles on it. My check engine light came on recently and I had it checked out and the repair shop said that the EGR Valve intake needed to be cleaned. I'm not sure how serious the problem and if I should get it fixed right away, or if I can hold off on it for a few weeks. Thank you.
Mjtzero

Well from snooping around on the net I've found this

" When optimal air/fuel mixture is attained (14.7: 1), the combustion process creates several different nitrogen oxides (NOx) because the combustion chamber is operating at over 2000 F. To reduce the NOx emission, the combustion chamber temp must be lowered. So the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve (generic diagram 1.) Recirculates the now inert exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber to lower the total volume of combustable mixture. This results in a slight loss of power. Too much EGR flow will result in poor fuel economy, rough running and increased emissions. Too little flow can possibly cause internal engine damage from overheating.&Quot; That's what it does, to hold off on replacing it or cleaning it shouldn't cause too much concern but don't wait for months.

Jwalth02