98 SPEEDOMETER

1998 Ford Escort

98 Ford Escort, auto, 130K mi. My speedometer & odometer stopped working. I checked all the fuses. I replaced the speed sensor and swapped out the instrument cluster but these efforts did not solve the problem. Is there a second speed sensor?
Help!
Biggarp

Nope only one but it is a common failure. Make sure the cluster terminals are very clean. Maybe a 2nd bad cluster. Good luck

Losone
I can't deffinitly tell you the problem but I can tell you what it could be
Possible causes: wiring, PCM, transmission drive gear.
Of course you have already indicated the other stuff like instrument cluster, fuse, VSS.

Importbasher89
: (
I went to the junk yard and swapped out the speed sensor (again), the instument cluster (again), and the cruise contol box (although it was for an 00 escort coupe vice 98 sedan/wagon). Still no speedo function. The previous reply mentions a " PCM" . What is that?
Pat

Biggarp
I looked carefully at the schematic. The ECM connection is the check engine light and has nothing to do with the function.

The last thing it might be are the cluster grounds. You need to get a digital voltmeter ($20.00) and check for a ground on all the black wires.

12 Volts powers the cluster and is on the black and yellow wire from fuse 14. There should be 2/3 inputs. The internal cluster voltage is 7 volts.

A digital voltmeter is your only choice.

Let me know

Losone
Losone
: D Your analysis was correct and I sincerely appreciate your time and assistance. My EE friend brought over his volt/ohm meter and we tested the wires from the cluster to the cruise control, to the speed sensor and found that the ground wire was not connected to ground. I could not find the fault so I ran a dedicated ground wire from the back of the cluster to a chassis ground point. And it worked! As an aside my daughter told me the horn was not working and this ground fixed that as well. I laid upside down under the dash and checked all the wires. As well as removed the airbag. And could not find any obvious wire or connector issues. As long as it works I do not mind using the dedicated ground wire as a permanent fix.
Pat

Biggarp
Glad to be of service! Losone

Losone