OVERHEATING

2002 Ford Escort

105,000 miles. I have had a problem lately with my car overheating. I drive quite a bit for my job and need this car to last for a little while longer. When the car is idling, it shakes pretty hard in succession, I can feel the shaking move from the back to the front of the car. I changed the oil and it helped a bit, but not enough. There is a high pitched whirring that is most notable when the car is idling, and speeds up and slows down with the car, but is not immediately noticeable. There is a grinding sound when I make a sudden stop, but if I slow down at a gradual pace, the sound isn't there. What should I check for? Is there any quick fix that I'm missing here? Is there a part that could be broken that would cause this, but would otherwise not affect the car?
Walshster

For the overheating and rough idle I would say check the ignition timing, bad timing can cause a rough idle and overheat!

Blackop555