TIMING BELT

2000 Ford Escort

2000 Ford Escort 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 133, 00 miles

My car broke down 7 months ago and I had to have the timing belt replaced and they also replaced the water pump. About 1-2 months later it broke down and sure enough it was the timing belt again, the mechanic had it for a couple of days trying to figure out what was making it break. He couldn't find anything elso wrong with it, so he replaced the belt again. The other day the car died on me again and once again it was the timing belt. Can you tell me if you have heard of this before in a ford escort? Please help?

FYI. If it even matters, the first two times I had the same mechanic fix it, this time I took it somewhere elso but I don't think it will make much difference because the first mechanic was a reliable family friend.
Nschmidt01