INTERMITTENT STARTING - ZX2

1998 Ford Escort

1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 210000 miles

2 Car Pros

Hey there, I'm looking for a little help on this issue. The problem is that the starter operates intermittently. To be more specific, I'll turn the key to 'start' and the starter won't crank. Sometimes. If I cycle the key several times the starter will sometimes kick in.

Now, for what I've done so far:
-The Starter has been replaced
-I've already troubleshot the ignition switch and I don't see any issue in it's operation (when I would turn the key to 'start' the switch would close as it should even though the starter wouldn't crank)
-The battery has been replaced
-I've cleaned the battery and starter terminals

I was looking around this forum to see if my car had some sort of starter relay that may have been failing but I've read from other forums that the relay is integral with the starter & solenoid assembly. I wonder if the starter cable harness may have a break in it or something though I don't see any evidence of chafing or kinking.

Any help or direction here would be much appreciated. Thank you for all your service!

-Mike
Veritas82

Hi veritas82,

Thank you for the donation.

System does not use any relay as shown in diagram.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_StartingCircuit98EscortZx2Fig32a_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_StartingCircuit98EscortZx2Fig32b_1.jpg

To verify if it is the igniton switch thatis at fault, attach a test lamp to the Black/Light Green wire at ignition switch and turn key to START position. If test lamp lights up and starter does not click or crank, fault is not at ignition switch.

You would have to test the Park Neutral Position switch and wire continuity between ignition switch and starter motor.

What would cause just the click if the battery is good and starter is good. The vehicle starts with a jump, it is intermittent

Chiefnv
It sounds like a failing starter solenoid.

Rivermikerat