TUNE UP, BRAKES & ROTARS, OIL LEAK, PA

1997 Ford Escort

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1997 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 147, 00 miles

TOOK MY MOMS 97 ESCORT TO A MECHANIC MY FAMILY HAS USED FOR YEARS. IT HADN'T BEEN SERVICED SINCE MY MOM TOOK IT IN FOR A TUNE UP IN 2004. I TOOK IT IN IN 2002 AND JACK HONESTLY TOLD ME " YOU ONLY HAVE A VACUUM LEAK" AND IT WAS A FEW BUCKS. I TOOK IT IN ON THURS. AFTER I FOUND OUT THE SHOP HAD SWITCHED HANDS THREE TIMES AFTER JACK RETIRED BUT THOUGHT THEY SHOULD BE OK. THE CAR WAS SHAKING AT STOPS, CUTTING OUT REALLY BAD, I REALLY DIDN'T NOTICE THE BRAKES AND THE OIL HAS BEEN LEAKING BAD FOR A LONG TIME. BEFORE THE MECHANIC STARTED THE WORK HE CALLED MY MOM FOR THE OK WHICH HE SHOULD HAVE TALKED TO ME AND TOLD HER IT WOULD BE $424.00 FOR A TUNE UP, BRAKES AND ROTARS AND SHE SAID OK AND THEN LATER TOLD ME SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHATHE WAS TALKING ABOUT BUT THEY WERE CLOSED BY NOW. HE CALLED ME THE NEXT MORNING AND TOLD ME HE WAS FINISHED, WE WENT TO PICK IT UP AND HE HADN'T CHECKED THE TIE ROD AND WHEN WE ASKED WHY HE SAID " WE ONLY DO WHAT YOU ASK". WELL I DID ASK ABOUT THE SHAKING AND VIBRATING AND AFTER ALL THIS HE HAD TO KEEP IT AGAIN AND PUT IN A TIE ROD AND HE CHARGED 24.00 FOR PARTS AND 85.00 FOR LABOR SO THERE IS OVER 500.00 ON THIS CAR. AND WHEN WE SAID WHAT ABOUT THE OIL LEAK? HE SAID WHAT OIL LEAK? BY NOW I'M JUST READY TO EXPLODE SO HE LOOKS AT THE OIL LEAK AND SAYS 100.00 FOR A SWITCH PLATE, IF I'M SAYING THAT RIGHT, AND 220.00 FOR AN OIL PAN I'M SORRY I TOOK UP SO MUCH ROOM BUT I TAKE CARE OF THINGS FOR MY MOM AND I FEEL LIKE THIS GUY TOTALLY SHAMMED US PLUS WE HAD TO RENT A CAR FOR TWO DAYS AT 63.00 A DAY FOR TWO DAYS BECAUSE HE WOULDNT LISTEN. COULD SOMEONE TELL ME IF ALL THIS WAS DONE RIGHT AND IF I OVERPAID, I'M PRETTY SURE I ALLREADY KNOW THE ANSWER. THANKS
ANGELCROSS

To begin with if you wanted to be the one to give the OK for the work, you should have told him that and given him your number. From what I read it sounds like the shaking was attributed to the tune-up, since you told him it was shaking and stalling, maybe you should have told him it was shaking while driving, so he would have gone to the suspension to inspect it. Alot is lost in the original complaints not being specific when repairing vehicles. When you dropped it off, you should have told him the entire list of issues you wanted checked, he would have written them down and given you a copy of the paperwork. Alot of techs wont look the entire car over and give youa big long list for fear they think that the shop is trying to screw them, so alot only look at exactly what is asked of them. Im sorry you fell that you were not treated right, maybe you should find a new shop since you dont trust this one anymore, and for your own protection be very specific in what you want checked and who you want called for the OK on the work

Jack42
[quote=" 2CarPro Jack" ]To begin with if you wanted to be the one to give the OK for the work, you should have told him that and given him your number. From what I read it sounds like the shaking was attributed to the tune-up, since you told him it was shaking and stalling, maybe you should have told him it was shaking while driving, so he would have gone to the suspension to inspect it. Alot is lost in the original complaints not being specific when repairing vehicles. When you dropped it off, you should have told him the entire list of issues you wanted checked, he would have written them down and given you a copy of the paperwork. Alot of techs wont look the entire car over and give youa big long list for fear they think that the shop is trying to screw them, so alot only look at exactly what is asked of them. Im sorry you fell that you were not treated right, maybe you should find a new shop since you dont trust this one anymore, and for your own protection be very specific in what you want checked and who you want called for the OK on the work[/quote I DID ALL OF THIS AND HE JUST LIKE YOU WASNT LISTENING AND I WAS EXPECTING THE SAME HONEST SERVICE THE PREVIOUS OWNER GAVE ME SO I THOUGHT I WAS IN GOOD HANDS AND YOU DIDNT EVEN ANSWER THE MAIN QUESTION I NEEDED ANSWERED. A GOOD MECHANIC DOESNT NEED THE CUSTOMER TO TELL HIM EVERY SINGLE THING SHE THINKS IS WRONG THATS HIS DAMN JOB. MY OLD MECHANIC USED TO GET IN AND TAKE IT FOR A DRIVE AND FIGURE IT OUT CAN YOU DO THAT WITHOUT A DETAILED MAP?

ANGELCROSS
To answer your question, from your description " THE CAR WAS SHAKING AT STOPS, CUTTING OUT REALLY BAD" it sounds like he went towards the issue you described, which was the tune -up. He may have done a brake inspection, which at that time he should have found the bad tie-rod end.I dont believe you overpaid, but I do think you should find another shop, not sure why you would assume that you would get the same service after it changed hands 3 times, unless it was just a management change and the same techs were there

Jack42

ANGELCROSS
Youre welcome

Jack42