SO MANY PROBLEMS DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START

1995 Ford Escort

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Ford Escort 4 cyl Automatic 129000 miles

*I was recently given a 1995 Ford Escort LX - the car had only 128500 miles on it. The car was lightly driven by the previous owner and for a year before given to me, sat in her yard not even being started.

Currently, the biggest problem I have is overheating. I think that I have a coolant leak somewhere, but I never find any fluid under the car. On a daily basis I have to add coolant to the overflow resevour, anywhere from.5 - 1 gallon of a 50/50 solution. I always check the radiator to see if it needs more fluid, but only every couple of days will it take any fluid, and even then only a little. In addition, the engine now " chugs" sometimes when I am driving, always at different speeds. I have taken the car to a mechanic who cannot figure out where the leak is. I am wondering if someone might know where to look or should I just get rid of the card
Saffire.eyez

Any white smoke from exhaust? Oil look normal or like a chocolate malt?

Docfixit
I only get white smoke when it is raining or very early in the morning, before the engine heats up. I have changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, had the fuel system flushed, I am getting the radiator flushed tomorrow due to a really disgusting gunk when I popped the radiator cap.

Saffire.eyez