CAR WONT HEAT UP

1994 Ford Escort

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Ford Escort 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

Car will not heat up, replaced the thermostat and still no change. The hose coming from the thermostat to radiator is hot to touch, hose from radiator to engine is warm, hoses to heater coil slightly warm. After a internet search I found this " water outlet has a plastic bypass valve inside of it that has likely melted and is allowing water around the thermostat which essentially keeps it open. &Quot; The temperture gauge goes only slightly above cold, and heater will blow warm air for a minute or so, then gets cold again. When I replaced the thermostat I did notice what sounded like a ball rolling around in the housing while cleaning it. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.
Flatpick

Chances are the valve is bad.

I just want to make sure that you are saying the valve in the water outlet is bad and to replace it.

Flatpick
Please understand that not being there, I can't guarantee anything. However, it is acting like the t-stat is stuck wide open. So it has to be either a bad t-stat, or the valve.

Sorry, I know you are not legally or otherwise responsible, I just am unsure if which valve you are referring to or even what a t-stat (thermostat?)That might be bad based on what you have to go on. Are we talking about replacing the water outlet pipe because the plastic overheat valve is probably melted and is letting water bypass the thermostat? Or something else? I ask because this involves money and a substantial amount of winter work in the elements (no garage) and it is a Ford, different size bolts on the same piece. Thanks for all of your help, and I am sorry if I am problematic. Once again thank you. By the way, do you know of a way to see if the valve is bad on the water outlet pipe?

Flatpick
You are not a problem at all. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want. I just hate to give people 100% confidence when I am not there to see / hear the problem. You already replaced the thermostat, so I will assume it is good. Was it doing the same thing before its replacement?

The bypass that you refered to in the first post is what I am thinking. It needs removed to check. However, you could have another bad thermostat too. If you want, you can remove the thermostat and check it. I can provide directions if you wish.

Let me know. And again, let me know if you have other questions.